Is the Flu Shot Actually Effective? Yes! While there is no foolproof way to prevent the flu, the flu shot is your best defense against getting the flu. Each year, the flu shot is reformulated to protect against the strains of the flu thought to be most common in that year. Even if you somehow got a strain of the flu that was not in the vaccine, you would likely have the flu for less time and have a less severe case.
Those at High Risk for the Flu
- Older adults
- Those with compromised immune systems
- Pregnant women
How Else Can I Protect Myself from the Flu?By now, you are no doubt familiar with the steps you can take to limit the spread of COVID-19. Well, those same best practices can lower your risk of the flu, too! Practicing good hygiene and taking other protective measures can help protect you against both illnesses, so get your prevention game on.
Flu Prevention Basics
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time.
- If you don’t have access to soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer and rub for 20 seconds.
- Disinfect commonly touched surfaces and objects often.
- Wear a mask when in close contact with others outside your home as COVID-19 prevention that also prevents the flu.
- Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Steer clear of anyone who has flu symptoms.