Why Is Physical Activity Important? If we were making a list, this would be a long one! Physical activity benefits your entire health and wellness, including physical, mental and emotional health. It also helps keep your cognitive health in good shape, so it’s boosting your brain. What’s not to love?!
Getting Started With Physical Activity
- Visit a doctor before starting a new exercise routine.
- Set attainable goals.
- Start slow and build up over time.
- Stretch before and after your workout.
- Wear the right clothing and footwear for your workout.
How Can I Make Walking a Habit?When starting to add physical activity into your daily routine, walking is one of the best exercises to start with. It’s simple—and it can be done anywhere, including in place in your living room when it’s raining outside! Work to increase your daily step count each day for a while, gradually building up to where you’re getting in at least 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day.
Benefits of Walking
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
- Reduces the risk of some types of cancer
- Improves quality of life
- Decreases the risk of chronic disease
- Promotes memory and brain health